Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Brawl, Melee, Brawl...

I've been able to play Brawl for a solid x hours over spring break. I was damn excited about this game and have been hoping desperately that someone around me would buy it already, as I don't have a wii in my dorm. At first the game was annoying, feeling like a slow motion, spruced up version of Melee. Everything moved like molasses and I wanted to just have Marth stab himself because his sword was less than 3 inches long. I found myself reverting to Melee during that first hour or so with the game. I admit, I really don't have much skill with either game. I just enjoy the mindless button mashing and the trash talking when I think I did something cool. All this talk about advanced maneuvers such as wave dashing, etc really makes no sense to me.

But anyways, eventually Brawl started becoming fun. Though it was slower, the additional characters, and the emphatic sound effects after each punch was decently amusing. Furthermore, wall jumps are infinitely easier and I found myself spending critical minutes of each match just trying to wall jump around my opponent. Later at night, when everyone else left, I tried my hand at the online play. Man, Nintendo needs to man up because their WiiConnect service is shite. Seriously, if it takes 5 minutes to attempt to find another player before disconnecting every single time, something is wrong. After a couple useless tries, I shut the thing off and popped open Halo 3 for some Live action. More mindless shooting and button mashing, but this time, without the wait and disconnects.

No comments: